The esp process appears to leak memory after responding to certain SOAP calls from the ECL Watch interface. Follows is some testing performed:
1. Clean startup of the OS.
2. Clean startup of HPCC.
3. Run top and restrict view to processes containing 'esp'
4. Note the initial VIRT and RES values:
5. Run no other processes and watch top. These two values don't change after 3-4 minutes. This is expected.
6. Fire up Firefox on that OS and point it at ECL Watch. After settling down, top shows:
Those values remain constant. This is normal, I think. The browser is showing the activity page and auto-refresh is disabled. These values don't change after 3-4 minutes.
7. Switch the browser to the workunit list view, which makes calls to the esp process at intervals. Here is what I observed in top after each call:
8. The log file for esp shows only the single WUQuery for workunit list updates periodically. One example:
A customer system that has had quite a bit of activity on it recently showed almost a quarter of a terabyte used (via top, in the VIRT column).