Description of problem from James Wiltshire :
A new theory...
I mentioned that after the "event", Dali ends up with massive extra data in the delta/inc/det file.
Turns out, in this last instance - there were phases to the event -
1. Dali lost connectivity to the backup server
2. Dali server went down
I mentioned there over 8000+ apparently-redundant chunks in the delta file.
And today I noticed there many (8000+) "saveDelta" messages in the Dali log file.
What I believe may be happening:
- Dali attempts to write the delta file
- It fails writing to backup (in this case, because network connectivity dropped)
- Accordingly, it does not mark the delta info as "saved"
- But it still writes the entire delta to the local delta file
The effect of this:
The local delta file has updates that it has already received and doesn't "need".
The backup delta file "needs" them, but not the local delta file.
So - if this is the case...
Then simply losing network connectivity to the backup server could "corrupt" the local delta file.